Free and Reduced Meals Information

  • Do I need to fill out an application for each child?

    No. Complete the application to apply for free or reduced price meals. Use one Free and Reduced Meals Application for all students in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete, so be sure to fill out all required information. Return the completed application to: Colleen Kubera, Food Service Manager, 425 East Main Street, Fredonia NY 14063.

    Who can get free meals?

    All children in households receiving benefits from SNAP, the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations or TANF, can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household’s gross income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Eligibility Guidelines.

    Can foster children get free meals?

    Yes, foster children that are under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court, are eligible for free meals. Any foster child in the household is eligible for free meals regardless of income.

    Can homeless, runaway or migrant children get free meals?

    Yes, children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway, or migrant qualify for free meals. If you haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or e-mail Colleen Kubera, Food Service Manager 679-1581 ext. 2705 to see if they qualify.

    Who can get reduced price meals?

    Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced price limits on the Federal Eligibility Income Chart. (See below.)

    Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this year saying my children have been approved?

    Please read the letter you got carefully and follow the instructions. Call the school at 716-679-1581 ext. 2705 if you have questions.

    My child's application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new application form?

    Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first 30 days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the new school year.

    I get WIC. Are my children eligible for free meals?

    Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out a Free and Reduced Meal Application form and submit it to Colleen Kubera, Food Service Manager, 425 East Main Street, Fredonia NY 14063.

    If I don't qualify now, may I reapply later?

    Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year. For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible for free and reduced price meals if the household income drops below the income limit.

    Will the information I give be checked?

    Yes and we may also ask you to send written proof.

    What if I disagree with the school's decision regarding my application?

    You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing by calling or writing to: John Forbes, Business Administrator, 425 East Main Street Fredonia NY 14063 716-679-1581 ext. 2760.

    May I apply if someone in my household is not a US citizen?

    Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

    Who should I include as members of my household?

    You must include all people living in your household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends) who share income and expenses. You must include yourself and all children living with you. If you live with other people who are economically independent (for example, people who you do not support, who do not share income with you or your children, and who pay a pro-rated share of expenses), do not include them.

    What if my income is not always the same?

    List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

    We are in the military. Do we include our housing allowance as income?

    If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.

    My spouse is deployed in a combat zone. Is his/her combat pay counted as income?

    No, if the combat pay is received in addition to her basic pay because of her deployment and it wasn’t received before she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. Contact your school for more information.

    My family needs more help. Are there any other programs we can apply for?

    To find out how to apply for SNAP or other assistance benefits, contact your local assistance office or call 1-800-342-3009.

Reduced Price Eligibility Income Chart for 2017-2018