Hybrid Learning Addendum to the Student Code of Conduct 2020 - 2021
Should the Fredonia Central School District determine that a Hybrid Model is necessary at any point during the school year, the following Code of Conduct will also be used.
Expectations for the In-Person* Component of the Hybrid Model:
When participating in the in-person portion of the hybrid instructional model, students should adhere to the adopted policies found in our current Student Handbook. The following additions to the Student Handbook address particular items for the Hybrid In-Person Learning environment.
- Students will be expected to attend in person on the days they have been assigned (Either Monday and Tuesday or Thursday and Friday).
- The days (3) they are not present in the school building, students will be expected to follow the section of the Code of Conduct related to Remote Learning Expectations.
- When in person, students should bring all of their materials (i.e. chromebooks, chargers, textbooks and school supplies) with them each day. They will be taking these materials home each night to allow for necessary cleaning.
- Students and families should ensure their backpacks can fit all of their materials to accommodate taking them to and from school each day they are here.
- When in school, students will be required to wear masks at all times and practice social distancing.
- Students will be expected to follow building procedures for movement (one way hallways) within the building, including when using the bathroom or visiting the nurse.
- Students will be screened (temperature checked) before entering the building and will proceed directly to their assigned classroom. There will be no locker usage.
- Students will be dismissed at the end of the day with no after school activities to follow.
All students taking the bus at dismissal will be expected to take the first bus run home.
- If students are picked up at the end of the day, they will proceed to their car as they are dismissed for the day. They must continue to wear their mask and social distance.
Expectations for the Remote Learning Component of the Hybrid Model:
Even when in a Remote Learning environment, students should adhere to the adopted policies found in our current Student Handbook. The following additions to the Student Handbook address particular items in the Remote Learning environment.
General Expectations for the Remote Learning Environment:
- All students will have the necessary technology to effectively and regularly communicate, receive instruction, interact with classmates, and comply with work requirements.
- Faculty and staff will continue to monitor and record student attendance. This could be done in a variety of ways including, attendance in live streamed classes, accessing a learning platform (Google Classroom), or interaction with Google Classroom posting or requirements (watching a short clip or video). In addition, completion of required assignments and assessments will be used to monitor student attendance.
- Students must comply with all work requirements in a timely fashion (meeting deadlines) and should reach out to the teacher when they are experiencing any difficulty with the material or with meeting the set timelines. Work requirements and communication information will be found in the teacher's course syllabus.
- Normal classroom procedures for grading are in effect in a remote learning environment.
Students will be graded using standard grading practices, one in which there will be no safety net grade of *65 at the end of a grading period.
Live Stream Education Sessions (Zoom)
Video conferencing and live streamed class sessions are essential components of the learning process and help to improve the effectiveness of remote learning. As with the use of social media, students are required to adhere to school policies pertaining to these areas in our Student Handbook, and to observe the following regarding the Remote Learning environment:
- Students must be punctual to any live streamed session scheduled by the teacher.
Teachers will be monitoring attendance and students may be receiving class participation grades.
- Ensure your technology works properly, is charged, and that the camera is directed at you when necessary.
- Proper online manners are vital to a productive and supportive online learning environment. Students are to behave in the live online session as expected by the teacher and as if they were in a regular in-person environment, especially because the session may be recorded.
The following Netiquette guidelines apply to all online communications:
- Dress appropriately by adhering to the adopted Fredonia High School dress code.
- Be mindful of inappropriate surroundings or potential interruptions to the session.
- Sessions are intended for the learners in the particular class. Do your best to not include individuals who are not part of the class.
- Be polite, respectful, and toleralant of views expressed by others.
- Remember that this learning environment is not anonymous - others will be reading your messages and watching your screen.
- When reacting to someone else's message, address their ideas, not the person.
- Avoid using unnecessary sarcasm and unnecessary humor, and do not include obscenities in work or messages. Without face-to-face communication, people may take your humor personally, and you never know who may be offended by expressions that are absent of any emotion.
- Word your communication carefully.
- Always assume your electronic work will be forwarded. Do not write anything that you do not want broadcast to your classmates.
- A recorded session within the domain of the school's system is considered property of the school, and should be treated accordingly.
*The health guidance from The Chautauqua County Department of Health, the New York State Department of Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and New York State Education Department will continue to be followed this year when students are learning in the building. That means students must:
- Wear a mask at all times
- Follow hallway directions
- Keep a 6ft social distance
- Adhere to new building procedures that increase the safety of its occupants