Board of Education
The Fredonia Central School Board of Education is made up of seven members. Board members are elected to five-year terms by qualified voters of the school district at the district election and budget vote each May. The Board elects a President, Vice President and District Clerk at its annual organizational meeting in July. Members serve without compensation. The school board is responsible for formulating educational and school district policies.
The Board of Education welcomes residents, staff members, students and other interested persons to its meetings. The Board can better represent its constituents when members of the community take the time to attend a board meeting, express opinions, ask questions and become involved in shaping the decisions that affect the education of our children.
The school board meets in regular session at 6:00 PM on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month in the High School Library, 425 East Main Street, Fredonia, New York, unless a meeting is scheduled during school breaks or on a holiday.
The Board also occasionally meets in executive session. Executive (closed door) sessions may only be held by resolution of the Board at a regularly scheduled or advertised special session or business session. The Open Meetings Law of the State of New York defines the subjects which may be discussed behind closed doors.
A list of the regular meetings of our Board of Education is listed on the Board of Education page of this website. Notices of all meetings, regular and special, are also sent to the Observer in Dunkirk, New York.
District residents are welcome to bring their concerns to the Board and to express their opinions on matters affecting our schools. Two specific times are set aside at all board meetings to "Hear from the Public." When you are called upon to address the Board, please give your name, address, and if you are representing an organization, its name. As a courtesy to all wishing to speak, each resident will be granted up to five minutes per individual/group to make his/her presentation. Exceptions may be made, however, at the discretion of the board president.
Also sitting at the board table at meetings are the following officials:
- The Superintendent of Schools serves at the pleasure of the Board of Education as the district's chief executive officer. The superintendent is responsible for the administration of all policies adopted by the Board and the execution of all decisions made by the Board concerning internal operations of the school system. The superintendent advises the Board on the needs and programs of the schools within the district.
- The Business Administrator advises the Board on financial matters and on the business management details concerning the district.
- The Director of Instruction/Chief Information Officer presents information to the Board on items such as grants, curriculum and technology and gives special reports/information, when it is requested.
- The District Clerk is responsible for recording and preparing the minutes of the meeting for approval by the Board and for keeping the official minutes of all board meetings. This person is also responsible for the accurate and timely posting of meeting notices, notifying the public of vacancies on the Board and for certifying voting lists and district election results.
- The Principals and the Director of Special Education sit at the table and stand ready to clarify information presented to the Board on the happenings in and around their respective buildings/grade levels. They also, upon request, give special reports/presentations to the Board.
If you have any questions on the roles/responsibilities/duties of the Fredonia Central School Board of Education, please contact the District Clerk, Jessica Legere, at 716-679-1581 ext. 2701.
NOTE: Board meeting minutes posted on this website are considered "draft" until officially approved by the Board of Education.